Fund-a-Need 2017: Sequoia PE Program
Each year, SPA and the Sequoia Elementary Principal identify a target area of need at our school and raise funds to specifically address that area of concern. In the past, Fund-a-Need targets have included technology enhancements, facility improvements, and our music program.
This year, Sequoia Elementary School’s Physical Education Program needs your help! Currently, we rely on parent volunteers to facilitate PE time each week. While everyone is obviously grateful for this concerted effort, our PE program can use some improvement.
We have a solution! This year’s Fund-A-Need live auction item will raise funds to hire a Physical Education specialist who will enhance and upgrade the current PE program via the following:
- Part time PE specialist will be on campus approximately 21⁄2 days per week, developing and instituting the new program
- PE assistant will help organize exercise activities & games during recess
- PE specialist will help improve the individual class PE sessions (working with Parent Volunteers and Teachers)
- Teachers will still be present during PE and will teach additional sessions as needed
- While we hope to institute the new program school- wide, priority will be given to 1st-3rd grades
- Educate our kids about the importance of fitness and teach them that NOT exercising daily can lead to unhealthy lifestyles and injuries later in life
- Show the kids that increasing daily activity is not only healthy but can also be a lot of fun!
We believe enhancing the PE program will be beneficial to our whole community. Teachers have voiced their support, as they appreciate assistance in planning and leading PE lessons. Children will benefit from a better- coordinated program, with a consistent curriculum throughout the year and professional instructors to guide the activities, not to mention the potential for increased supervision and safety. Sequoia parents will benefit knowing their children are getting a more robust PE program, plus parents will not have to provide as many volunteer hours as we currently ask of them to make PE happen at Sequoia.
Our aim is to reduce our reliance on parent volunteer hours and increase the effectiveness and consistency of physical education for our kids. The more money we raise:
- The more time the PE specialist can be on campus
- The more improvements can be made to our program
- The more kids can be directly affected
Anyone can contribute to this essential cause via the SPA Store!